2nd Regular Session of the 122nd South Carolina General Assembly
January 12, 2018.
JOBS for Our Communities:
A comprehensive strategy to bring quality jobs to minority communities across the state with the goals of…
- Working to ensuring minority business have fair and equal opportunities to participate in SC Department of Transportation infrastructure improvement plans, as passed in the 2017 Infrastructure Act;
- Working to ensuring active job and industry recruitment in all regions of the state, with the overall objective of lowering the unemployment rate in minority communities;
- Expanding workforce training and continuing education in addition to modernizing rural K-12 Public Schools.
Criminal Justice Reform
Sponsoring and promoting legislation centered on improving and reforming the judicial process from the courtroom and beyond by…
- Increasing the election and appointments of minority judges and magistrates;
- Simplifying and revising the SC Expungement Process and Sex Offender Registry;
- Working with employers to incentivize the hiring of reformed, former felons.
Healthcare Options for All:
Sponsoring and promoting legislation focused on expanding healthcare services, access, and affordability to minority communities by…
- Expanding medical insurance to the working uninsured;
- Taking a proactive approach based on prevention and early diagnosis;
- Working to increase the number of minority nurses and physicians;
- Providing quality facility options.
Public Education Reform
Sponsoring and promoting legislation focused on providing a high-quality education beginning at pre-k, through K-12, to Higher Education by…
- Solving the funding disparities that exist district to district, zip-code to zip-code;
- Recruiting and retaining minority teachers and administrators and increasing;
- Increasing programs and curriculum opportunities to public schools in minority communities; and increasing parental and community involvement.